Whether you manage a large apartment complex or a high-rise office building, installing a trash chute offers tenants a convenient way to quickly dispose of their waste. Although hidden from sight, maintaining your trash chute is just as crucial as keeping your building’s exterior spaces pristine. Here are five reasons why keeping your trash chute clean is important.
- Reduce odours. Rotting waste produces unpleasant odours that can seep out of the trash chute and into the hallways of your building. This can lead to numerous complaints and dissatisfied tenants.
- Avoid fires. Over time, trash chutes inevitably accumulate grime, sludge and grease. Did you know that grease fires are increasingly common in trash chutes? If left unattended, grease leaking from garbage bags can overheat and catch fire. If a fire starts in your trash chute, it can quickly spread throughout your entire building.
- Improve air quality. Waste is a breeding ground for mould, mildew and bacteria. These contaminants can waft up from the garbage chute, circulate through the ventilation and reduce your building’s air quality. Poor air quality can cause headaches, dizziness and fatigue. It can also exacerbate asthma and allergy symptoms.
- Keep pests away. Dirty trash chutes attract pests like rodents and insects. These unwelcome visitors can take up residence in your trash chute, eventually making their way into people’s apartments or offices, resulting in a full-blown infestation. Moreover, many pests carry and spread harmful diseases that could put your tenants at risk.
- Extend the life of the trash chute. Keeping your trash chute clean can increase its lifespan, saving hundreds or even thousands of dollars over several years. You should have your trash chute professionally cleaned and inspected at least twice a year or every six months. Garbage chute cleaning should be considered routine preventive maintenance.
Miller Waste Services provides comprehensive high-rise waste management services for residential buildings across Ontario, including waste chute cleaning and odour control.
Garbage Chute Cleaning Service in Ontario
At Miller Waste Systems, we take a multi-tiered approach to waste control. Our unique cleaning process removes caked-on, dried and flammable garbage throughout your chute. We provide a complimentary floor-by-floor garbage chute inspection, followed by a written report highlighting items that require attention. We also offer roll-off dumpster and garbage bin rental services. Contact us today to talk to a representative about your waste management needs.