The Assistant Controller will take ownership of financial reporting and financial profitability analysis and serve as a partner to Miller Waste, Miller Transit, Bloomington Downs and associated companies. They will help drive financial accounting quality, process efficiencies, and robust internal controls.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the accounting team and ensure that the team effectively performs and meets deadlines.
- Lead and supervise accounting team in timely and successful execution of full cycle accounting
- Review and maintain General Ledger and Job Cost accounts/sub ledgers in accordance with ASPE
- Develop, document and maintain effective internal controls, process and procedures, which comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Take an active role in ensuring the completion of the month end and year-end financial statements
- Coordinate audits with external auditors.
- Compile and analyze variance reports, liaise with the district managers and attend meetings to review the reports
- Assist Mergers and Acquisition team with integration of accounting systems after the acquisition
- Drive process improvement projects to streamline and automate manual workflows.
- Improve internal controls for new and existing financial systems and align them with emerging best practices
- Provide clear and concise briefings on financial matters to Senior management and staff as needed
- Foster a collaborative and positive results-oriented accounting team and assist the corporate Controller in engaging and retaining team members
- Lead the finance and accounting operations in Controller’s absence
- Other duties as assigned.
- Designated, CPA, with 5+ years’ relevant experience as an accountant in large firm with complex and diversified Operations
- In-depth knowledge of financial processes, procedures, and requirements
- Problem solving and analytical skills to use accounting and financial records, identify errors, as well as correction procedures
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics and experience with ERP implementation preferred
- Excellent communication and data management skills to explain results and proposal across varying levels and respond to management requests for information
- Proven ability to lead and develop/mentor a highly functional and engaged accounting team